The dining table is the heart of a home

Monday, December 6, 2010

Sundried Tomato and Cheese Scone



My first post for this blog. Wow, how do I start? Why do I want to start a blog?
Mainly because I was inspired by my sister from mydatewithfood. Please visit her blog too if you have time, it's filled with warm home-cooked meals and great Sydney restaurant reviews.

Besides that Im actually a food addict. I can't stop thinking about food. It's crazy I know. I should be thinking more about work or family or even exercise ( mmmmm not really) than food. But oh well, I just love food. I love making them, I love looking at them ( esp the ones from donna hay magazine, don't they just look so pweeetyyyy??), I love eating them. My love of food probably comes from my family too. My mom loves to cook, my sister and brother love to cook, my father loves to eat, my mom in law loves to cook , well you get my point now I guess, and of course my husband loves to eat too. I would love to think he loves to eat the food I cook.

Hm, how do I start with my first post. I made these scones last weekend because I am currently completely addicted and in love with a cafe that sells great scones near my workplace. They made wonderful sundried tomato and cheese, date and walnut, cheese and chives scones. Not to forget their wonderful berry and plum muffins too. This cafe is called cornucopia, don't ask me what it means because I have nooooo idea what it means too. But it's run by two lovely owners who bake their own muffins and scones every morning. I always stop by in the morning to get my morning skinny latte with 1.5 sugar ( quite particular ha? could've just put 1 or 2 sugars, but it just has to be 1.5 for me ehehehe). And we'll always drop by for morning tea to get our second dose of caffeine with some fresh muffin and scone.

I used the basic scone recipe from masterchef. Surprisingly Gary's scones don't have butter in it. But it's pretty simple to make. The key is really not to overmix the dough or else you'll get stones not scones. It's really quick to make. I made these at 6.45am and get fresh scones by 7.30am.
So here we go. ( PS: please pardon the photos. I have to get the USB cable for my camera, so I have to use my phone in the mean time).

Sundried Tomato and Cheddar Cheese Scone
Ingredients:
  • 150mls milk ( full cream is best, but I use skinny)
  • 150mls cream
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups self raising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes ( chopped)
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon dill or any herbs you like ( optional )

Makes 12
1. Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Line large flat oven tray with baking paper.
2. Whisk 150ml milk, cream and egg together until well combined. Combine flour, salt, sundried tomatoes, dill and cheese in a large bowl. Add milk mixture and stir gently to a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together.
3. Press dough out to 2cm-thick. Cut scones from dough and place onto tray flat-side up. Press dough together gently and repeat using the remaining dough. Brush the tops with milk. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden and well risen. Serve hot with salted butter.

Tips:

  • Most important not to overmix the dough. Just work with it gently.
  • You can also cut the dough to 8 triangles. It actually looks quite nice that way too.
  • If you don't have self raising flour, you can use plain flour but you will need to add baking powder to it.

2 comments:

Mydatewithfood said...

Welcome to the world of blogging!
I will your number one Fan!
Looking forward for more post =)

dinewithleny said...

hahaha...thank you thank you...
Hopefully i'll keep posting more. Need to get a USB cable for my camera to start with...=)

Post a Comment