The dining table is the heart of a home

Monday, January 31, 2011

Date and Walnut Scones



Well I have a problem and it's quite serious. I have a craving, and I really need to find a solution to satisfy my cravings. I'm addicted to scones!....*blush* I have been making scones after scones, and searched up and down for the best scone recipe because I love those scones at my workplace so much ( I believe I mentioned this many times before in my previous posts....). Since I'm going back to Melbourne next week, probably won't be coming back to Ballarat anytime soon, I need to find a recipe I can replicate at home and make scones whenever I want to.

I think I've found "The One". The scone recipe that I shared last week was great. But date and walnut? The best so far...Well I might change my mind when I come up with a new combination, but so far this one is the best for me and my hubby. Well I found out that hubby doesn't like savoury scones. But he loved these date and walnut scones. He thinks they are better that bakers delight's. I'm not sure if they are better than bakers delight's but they sure were yummy. I used the same basic recipe that I used for my savoury scones, except that I added sugar, a little bit more butter and used dates with walnuts instead. The tops stayed crispy after 1-2 days which was great, and we just put them in the microwave for about 2 mins to warm them up and they were as good as coming out fresh from the oven. Hope you like them as much as we do.


Date and Walnut Scones

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups plain flour, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • 100 grams cold butter, cubed

  • 1/4 cup dates, chopped

  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 180mls or 3/4 cup thickened cream

  • Pinch of salt

  • Milk to glaze prior to baking

Methods:

  1. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to mixing bowl. Mix well.

  2. Add in cubed butter and mix together until small clumps form. You can use hand or food processor if you have one

  3. Then add in dates and walnuts.

  4. Add in thickened cream and use a fork to mix together until the dry ingredients are moistened

  5. Pour out all the ingredients onto floured surface and lightly mix until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix the dough or the scones will become really hard

  6. Form a ball and cut into 6 triangles or you can use cookie cutter and cut into small rounds as well.

  7. Glaze the scones with milk before baking

  8. Bake in preheated 220 degrees celcius for 15-17 minutes until tops are browned and crunchy

  9. Serve with butter

Tips:

  • I found that my scones spread out a little bit when I baked and became a bit flat. What I noticed from this cafe at my workplace was they flipped the scones sideways halfway through baking. I will try this next time. So halfway through baking maybe after 5-6 minutes, I will try to change the position of the scones so that the sides are facing up. This might help to keep the scones tall. I have not tried this before but saw the owner of this cafe doing this and has maintained good height for their scones. =)

8 comments:

Zoe said...

Are the scones at the cafe near your workplace bake freshly? I wonder if the flipping of scones help to heighten them?

Juliana said...

Wow, the scones look delicious, I just need a cup of tea to go with them :-)

dinewithleny said...

@Zoe: Hi Zoe, yes they bake it every morning. Fresh from the oven everytime I go there for morning tea. They are so good....and the owners are such lovely people as well. I think the flipping of scones do help heighten them and also help with making the sides crunchy as well.

@ Juliana: Thank you so much. Hope you like them if you get to make them one day...=)

lena said...

the last time i did was using a round cutter and positioned them really close to each other upon baking so that they will rise taller instead of wider, hope you know what i mean..

dinewithleny said...

Hi Lena, oh yea good tips too yea. I shall try that next time as well. That should work to make it rise better. Thank you.

Christine Ho said...

The best scones are hot, straight from the oven. Yours look very attractive. I'm craving for some right now? :P

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

100 grams of butter? how much in T??

ada said...

steroid satın al
heets
KH3

Post a Comment