The dining table is the heart of a home

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

BEST ROAST POTATOES AND I MEAN BEST!!!



Hmmm....I'm sitting here not having much to do. So I thought I'd share this recipe that I absolutely loveeee and I actually do believe that this is THE BEST ROAST POTATO RECIPE.....for me at least. ;)

I made this for Christmas Eve dinner and it was yummy.

The secret ingredient is PANKO breadcrumbs. You know those Japanese breadcrumbs we use in making tonkatsu etc? You can get it in any Asian groceries.

I did this recipe by accident actually. A couple of months ago I was preparing breadcrumb herb crusted rack of lamb and because I had extra panko breadcrumb mixture, being me, I thought...hmmm...why not try to mix it with the potatoes. And it turned out GREAT!!!....BEST I mean.....well I've said that at least 10 times since the beginning of this post so if I have not convinced you enough to try this recipe....I don't know what can...=)...

So here we go.

THE BEST ROAST POTATOES

Ingredients:
  • 1kg Baby Potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6-8 cloves of garlic, lightly mashed
  • 1 tablespoon plain flour
  • Extra olive oil, to drizzle the potatoes before roasting

Breadcrumb mixture:

  • 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 tablespoon chopped rosemary ( you can use any dried herbs too if you want. Mixed herbs, parsley, dried rosemary, thyme, anything you like)
  • Salt and black pepper

Methods:

  1. Mix all the ingredients for the breadcrumb mixture and set aside
  2. Chop the baby potatoes into big chunks, leave the skin on. It actually tastes better with skin on
  3. Put the potatoes in a pot of cold salted water and bring it to the boil. You will need a lid for the pot, you'll see why in a while
  4. Drain the potatoes when it's cooked/soft
  5. Put the cooked potatoes back to the pot. Chuck in the butter, olive oil, flour, garlic, breadcrumb mixture and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Don't go too heavy with the salt here because remember your breadcrumb mixture is already salted as well. So go easy.
  6. Put the lid on. We're gonna do some exercise for your biceps and triceps next....=)
  7. Once the lid is on, give the pot a goooooddd shake. You can shake it up and down, side to side, shake it all around, whatever you feel like at that moment. Why do we do this? This will mash up some parts of the potatoes and it actually makes it quite fluffy afterwards. But of course, don't overdo it. Or you'll get mashed potatoes instead of roast potatoes.
  8. Take the lid off and give the potatoes/breadcrumbs a good mix. Some of the potatoes will look quite distorted in shape, some of them will have their skins coming off, but that's okay, I like rustic looking food.
  9. Put the potatoes on baking paper lined tray. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil
  10. Roast in 200 degrees celcius oven for 25-30minutes until the potatoes turn golden and crunchy

And you're done. Hope you enjoy it.

9 comments:

Christine Ho said...

I know PANKO breadcrumbs, really good for making Japanese tempura. But haven't tried it with roasting. Great idea. Should give it a try!

dinewithleny said...

Yea it's really good for roast potatoes. I was surprised as well. Added that extra crunch that is always welcomed for roast potatoes. =)...Thanks for visiting my blog. Love your blog.

My Little Space said...

Hi Leny, thanks for visiting my blog earlier and nice to meet you. You have a lovely blog here & hope to hear from you more often. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a Happy New Year. Have fun!
Blessings, Kristy

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look so irresistible and perfectly roasted! What a great idea (breadcrumbs).

Happy new Year!

Cheers,

Rosa

dinewithleny said...

Kristy: thank you for visiting my blog too. Im a big fan of yours.

Rosa: Thank you for your comment. I love all your photos and your blog.

Cheah said...

Hi Leny, thanks for dropping by my blog. But I accidentally deleted your comment on my post, ha, ha! You do have an interesting blog too. Happy New Year to you and your family.

srisang said...

Nice post. This question is always arrived that which image format is best for design a website .I think you solve our some queries.

Potato Oven Melbourne

sibel said...

steroid satın al
heets
3CEK8

Arıns25 said...

görüntülü show
ücretlishow
51O

Post a Comment