I made these quite often for dinner parties at home. It's pretty easy as long as you have food processor. I made these for Christmas Eve dinner. Basically it's just spreading the pesto on a piece of bread and a slice of tomato on top. You can certainly add some bocconcini or other types of cheese as well.
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups basil, leaves only loosely packed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 100grams pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar, more if you have sweet tooth =)
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Tomatoes- sliced to 2-3mm thickness
- Baguette, slice diagonally around 1/2cm thick.
- Put all the ingredients in your food processor.
- Process all the ingredients but make sure you don't blitz them too finely. It's nicer to have a bit of crunch.
- Season and taste your pesto. Add sugar if it's not sweet enough, add a bit more vinegar if it's not sour enough, add a bit of salt if it's not salty enough, add....I'll stop, well I guess you get my point. ;)
- Butter one side of the baguette. Toast in oven 200 degrees celcius until the tops are browned and crunchy
- Spread the pesto on a slice of bread, top with tomatoes and serve
- You can chop up some extra basil and put on top of the tomato or even add a whole basil leaf.
- It's great to serve with pasta or grilled salmon too.
Happy New Year everyone. Hope you have a good celebration